Orion Township Safe Routes to School Project
The Charter Township of Orion, in conjunction with the Lake Orion Community Schools and the Road Commission for Oakland County had applied for the Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Grant Program for eight (8) elementary and middle schools campuses within Orion Township. The grant application was approved and OHM Advisors, our engineering consultant, completed design for the infrastructure portion of the project. This project is out to bid and once a contractor is selected, the project will begin construction Spring 2021.The Township is able to install these new pedestrian facilities at no cost to the individual property owner to provide pedestrian facilities that will promote a safer walking environment for children and as well as the community. You can view an interactive map of the projects, and below are the proposed improvements, listed per school campus.
Public Meeting information
The weather has greatly impacted progress on the project. However, the contractor is doing the best they can with the wet conditions to keep the project moving forward. We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience.
- Waldon Middle School (Pathway along S. side of Waldon & School Campus Work)- Construction Start Date anticipated* week of April 26th , 2021
- Carpenter Elementary School (Sidewalk along E. side of Joslyn + S. side of Flintridge) - Construction Start Date anticipated* week of May 10th , 2021 (Was week of May 24th, 2021).
- July 9, 2021 Update: Restoration was recently completed and a punch list will be generated for the contractor to complete
- July 15, 2021 Update: A punch list has been issued to the contractor to complete.
- Stadium Elementary School & Scripps Middle School (Round Tree Subdivision Sidewalks, RRFB on Stadium, & School Campus Work) - Construction Start Date anticipated* Thursday, May 27, 2021 - removals begin (Was week of June 10, 2021)
- Round Tree & Huntington Subdivision
- July 9, 2021 Update: Concrete sidewalk and asphalt driveway approaches continue and should be completed soon (weather pending). Irrigation repairs continue as well as grading around the completed sidewalks and driveways.
- July 15, 2021 Update: Concrete sidewalk and most of the Asphalt driveway approaches are complete. Irrigation repairs continue and are mostly complete. Grading around sidewalks and driveways will continue as well as placement of topsoil and seeding (weather permitting).
- July 29, 2021 Update: Restoration is scheduled to occur on Monday, August 2.
- August 13, 2021 Update: Turf establishment was completed Monday.
- Scripps & Stadium Schools
- July 9, 2021 Update: Grading has started and will continue as well as placement of aggregate base.
- July 29, 2021 Update: The Contractor finished the pathway at Scripps MS and Stadium Drive Elementary yesterday. The culvert under the driveway parking lot had to be replaced due to an existing drainage issue in order to extend it under the pathway. The Contractor is now prepping the driveway area that was removed for repaving operations.
- August 13, 2021 Update: Turf establishment was completed Monday. Rapid flashing beacons have been installed at Scripps Road, Waldon Road, and East Flint Street. Brush will be cleared around the beacons on Scripps Road to increase visibility to drivers.
- Round Tree & Huntington Subdivision
- Orion Oaks Elementary School (N. Side of Orion Center Parking lot & School Campus Work) – Construction Start Date anticipated* week of July 26th, 2021
- July 29, 2021 Update: Operations are scheduled to begin the middle of next week.
- August 13, 2021 Update: The contractor began operations at the Orion Oaks campus, grading and placing the aggregate base for the HMA pathway and concrete driveway. Concrete is estimated to be poured Monday, August 16. Access to the Polly Ann Trail can be found by parking in the township parking lot and following the stone trail to the Polly Ann Trail. The township birdhouse was also relocated out of the way of the proposed driveway loop.
- Webber Elementary School (School Campus Work) - Construction Start Date anticipated* week of July 26th, 2021
- Paint Creek Elementary School (Pathway along N. side of Indianwood & School Campus Work)- Construction Start Date anticipated* week of August 11th , 2021
- August 13, 2021 Update: The contractor began operations on Indianwood Drive for the modular wall for the HMA pathway. The contractor has excavated the area, placing footings with compacted aggregate base. The contractor also has a portion of the wall installed and is currently installing the underdrain and geotextile fabric for stability. Next week, the contractor will begin to backfill against the wall as they build upward in preparation for grading for the pathway.
- Blanche Sims Elementary School – (RRFB Pedestrian Crossing) Construction Start Date anticipated* week of August 11th , 2021
- Greenshield and Lapeer intersection (Pedestrian Bridge) - Construction Start Date anticipated* week of September 11th , 2021
NOTE*: This construction schedule will be updated on a bi-monthly basis to show the most up to date anticipated start dates for each work area. Construction schedules rely heavily on the weather for operations to be completed correctly and fair weather is significantly important for a construction schedule to stay on track.
- Install a 6 ft wide sidewalk along Joslyn Road (on the east side) from Silverbell Road, north to Flintridge Street.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway along Joslyn Road filling the pathway gap between Mapleview Drive and the Polly Ann Trail.
- Install a 5 ft wide sidewalk along Flintridge Street from Gainesborough Drive to Joslyn Road.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway for from the northeast corner of the Orion Center property, north to the south side of Orion Oaks School Buildings existing pathway.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway along the north side of the roadway from the east side of Paint Creek School property, toward the east and ending at Creekwood Drive.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway on school property that connects roadside infrastructure to internal campus infrastructure.
- Install 10 ft wide elevated pedestrian facility from the southeast quadrant of Lapeer Road (existing pathway facilities at starting point) and Greenshield Road, to the east, then crossing north over Greenshield Road (non-elevated street crossing) to the existing pathway in front of Gs Pizza.
- Install 5 ft wide sidewalk on each side of Huntington Road from the existing pathway on the south side of Scripps Road, continuing south/west to the intersection of Huntington Drive and Round Tree Drive, then continuing to the ending point of Round Tree Drive and Huntington Drive.
- Construct 10 ft wide pathway from the intersection of Scripps Road/Bald Mountain Trail, and Starlight Trail, to connect two existing pathways on the edge of school property with ADA Ramp upgrade as well.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway on the south side of Scripps Road, connecting an existing pathway and running north to connect to existing Stadium Elementary school pathway.
- Upgrade to Rapid Rectangular Flashing Beacon (RRFB) style pedestrian crossing at Scripps and Huntington Drive.
- Install a 5 ft wide sidewalk to fill the current gap within the pedestrian facilities along Waldon Road in front of the Stoney Ridge Drive homes.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway along Waldon Road, the pathway will be located on west side of the existing parking lot, connecting to the existing pedestrian facilities that are roadside to the existing facilities at the school entrances.
- Upgrade existing pedestrian crossing to RRFB style crossing, west of Aldrin Drive.
- Install a 10 ft wide pathway on east side of the school’s driveway, connecting existing pedestrian facilities along Clarkston Road then running south to connect to an existing school path at Webber Elementary.
- Install an RRFB crossing system for Blanche Sims Elementary at the intersection of Flint and Florence Street.
The Township will have a contractor remove all of the trees this year to comply with these federal constraints. The Township offers a replacement tree for every tree removed from your property. All residents that require a tree removal will be contacted directly with a mailing. Tree removal work will begin on Monday, March 15, 2021 and is expected to be completed by the end of the week.
Please be assured that we are working hard to minimize construction impacts on residents and businesses, and that we are happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. All pedestrian facilities will be constructed similar to other areas within the Township that have sidewalks/pathways.
We will be having a webinar style meeting with a questions and answers section for viewers. This meeting information will be available soon.
Please continue to check the Township website for all updates related to this project.
Updated March 11, 2021 - with note on tree removal work.
Updated April 14, 2021 - with construction schedule.
Updated April 19, 2021 - with audio recording and presentation materials from the April 14, 2021 public meeting.
Updated May 4, 2021 - construction start date changed for Carpenter Elementary School
Updated May 18, 2021 - construction start date changed from Stadium Elementary School & Scripps Middle School
Updated July 9, 2021 - construction update provided for Carpenter Elementary School and Stadium Elementary School & Scripps Middle School
Update July 15, 2021 - construction update provided for Carpenter Elementary School
Update July 29, 2021 - construction update provided for Scripps Middle School and Stadium Drive Elementary School, and Orion Oaks Elementary
Update August 13, 2021 - construction update provided for Scripps Middle School and Stadium Drive Elementary School, Orion Oaks Elementary, and Paint Creek Elementary