Small Business Resources
For Orion Township small businesses impacted by COVID-19, we have compiled a list of resources that might be helpful to you as you navigate this crisis.
SMALL BUSINESS GRANTS AND LOANS:
- Oakland County Economic Recovery Grants, Oakland County retail stores, restaurants and personal service businesses such as salons and fitness centers impacted by the coronavirus pandemic can apply for part of the $32 million Oakland Together Small Business Recovery Grant fund. The grants range from $2,500 - $10,000 - provide an infusion of capital to support payroll expenses, rent, mortgage payments, utility expenses or other similar ones that occur in the ordinary course of business. The funds come from Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act money allocated to Oakland County by the federal government.
- Paycheck Protection Program (MiPPP), small businesses can enroll in the U.S. Treasury Department’s Payment Protection Program. The PPP authorizes up to $349 billion toward job retention and certain other expenses. The program is first-come, first-served. There is a Michigan-specific website dedicated to the program that provides information on the program, a checklist and documents needed to apply, instructions on how to connect with a bank and/or finding a lender, and a budget tool to track and ensure the loan is forgiven. A sample PPP loan application has been released by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- Starting April 3, 2020, small businesses, sole proprietorships and nonprofits can apply for and receive loans to cover their payroll and other certain expenses through existing Small Business Association (SBA) lenders.
- Starting April 10, 2020, independent contractors and self-employed individuals can apply for and receive loans to cover their payroll and other certain expenses through existing SBA lenders.
- Oakland County Saving Businesses, Saving Lives Grant. Companies that shift or accelerate their manufacturing capabilities to produce personal protective equipment (PPE) such as face masks and gowns used by frontline health care professionals fighting COVID-19 can apply for grants from a $700,000 fund created by Oakland County.
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) programs for small businesses during COVID-19, including Michigan Small Business Relief Program, Reopen Main Street, MI Local Biz, and Match on Main. Visit michiganbusiness.org/covid19 for more information on these AND other MEDC programs and learn how to apply.
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program for COVID-19:
- ONE FAIR WAGE - Emergency Coronavirus Tipped and Service Worker Support Fund
- Patronicity Crowdfunding for Small Businesses COVID-19 Assistance. Engage the community to help support your business
- The Small Business Owner's Guide to the U.S. CARES Act
- COVID-19 Business Resource Center, updated daily with real-world funding, resources, and support for small business owners adapting to the impacts of coronavirus.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR SMALL BUSINESSES:
- Coronavirus Small Business Issues and Solutions Guide from ChamberofCommerce.org
- Oakland County to Distribute 10,000 Toolkits to Give Small Businesses Head Start on Safe Re-Boot and Build Consumer Confidence. Toolkits will include facemasks, no-touch thermometers, gloves and sanitizer to give small businesses essential materials for reopening and customers confidence they will have a safe experience. Small businesses wanting a toolkit can request one from the County.
- Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Reopening Resources (Coronavirus/Covid-19). The Michigan Liquor Control Commission (MLCC) has launched a new webpage with reopening guidelines and resources for liquor licensees. Business owners can find an FAQ from the commission on how to apply for temporary outdoor service permits, reactivate their licenses from escrow and more.
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) Resources for Michigan Businesses During COVID-19
- Michigan Economic Developers Association: Running List of Resources for Small Businesses
- Oakland County One Stop Shop Business Center (OSSBC) Coronavirus Resources
- Oakland County Business Resources and Relief
- US Small Business Association (SBA): Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to COVID-19
- Michigan Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
- Small Business Association of Michigan COVID-19 Resources:
- SBAM is holding daily briefings at 3:00 p.m. weekdays on Facebook to help small businesses navigate the COVID-19 crisis. Replays are available here.
- Comprehensive COVID-19 Resources for Small Business Owners
- Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to COVID-19
- Orion Strong, contains resources for small business and remote working tools
- State Provides Guidance to Employers on how to Avoid Potential Layoffs
- Small Business Taxpayers Provided Tax Assistance: penalties and interest waived for 30 days for some sales, use, and withholding tax filers
- Coronavirus Special Topic FREE Conference Call Series