Yard waste is collected on your regular collection day from April 1 through December 15 each year. The yard waste must be placed in large capacity craft/paper bags, placed loose in a reusable container clearly labeled "yard waste" or "compost" (free stickers are available at Township Hall and the Orion Center), or bundled, as required. There is no limit on how much yard waste you may set out each week.
Yard waste includes:
- Lawn debris
- Grass clippings
- Small twigs
- Shrub clippings (tied and bundled)
- Vegetable garden and kitchen waste materials and fruit
- Old potting soil
- Halloween pumpkins
- Dirt incidental to minor plantings or edging of lawns
- Tree branches and logs (less than 3 inches in diameter and less than 4 feet long) tied or secured with string or twine in bundles less than 18 inches in diameter
- Tree trimmings
- Small shrubs and bushes with direct removal from root systems
Christmas tree collection takes place on your regular collection day during Christmas week and the following three weeks. Discarded Christmas trees should be devoid of any ropes, lights, metal, plastic, or other hangers.
Permits are no longer needed for open burning in Orion Township. Please review the Open Burning Ordinance and the Fire Department's Frequently Asked Questions on Open Burning before conducting any open burning. If you have any question on open burning, please contact the Orion Township Fire Department at 248-391-0304 ext. 2000.